Here’s the materials and links I hand out to my students who are learning TeX for the first time:
- A basic TeX template with IPA using the Charis SIL unicode font, interlinear glossing in gb4e, and Syntax trees in qtree:
- Same as above but with an added section on using BibTeX:
- example.bib (Needed for the references. I recommend using bibliography management software like Jabref.)
- sp.bst (Needed for bibliography formatting. Make sure you put it in a place where TeX can find it.)
- More on using BibTeX: www.bibtex.org
- Compile using xelatex. Run twice to get the example references right (or use the or xelatex + makeindex + bibtex option in TeXworks and some other editors).